So the other day I decided that I wanted to try something new. Something that perfectly combines British culture and their eco-friendly nature.I was going to hang my clothes to dry...on a clothesline.
Now, correct me if I am wrong, but back at home the clothesline seems to be something of the past, an object that might have decorated the backyard of many, something that plagued our "poor grandmothers of the past" -aunt missy
But here, in the UK, clotheslines are a way of life. Nevermind the incessant rain, the damp mornings, or the constant possibility of getting absolutely soaked...clotheslines are the way forward. Now don't get me wrong, I think that clotheslines are quite quaint and can be aestetically pleasing, but my skills in using a clothesline have a long way to go.
The first time that I decided to break out of my shell and utilize the wind, I went about my merry way, hanging clothes as if it was my job, using clothespins....the whole lot. I was completely enjoying myself and felt like I had moved one steop closer to embracing the culture. I went back inside, admired my work, and waited for the clothes to slowly, but surely, dry.
If only I would have noticed my neighbor's wondering eyes and glances toward the sky....As soon as the clothes had time to become somewhat dry, the sky let loose and buckets of rain began to fall. Not only on the ground, but ON MY CLOTHES!!!!! We ran outside and snatched the clothes off the line, only to bring them inside possibly MORE wet than when I craftlily hung them out to dry...
Now I will not let this conquer me... I WILL have a successful attempt.............. I just might have to wait until next summer.
3 comments:
HAHA so funny! I've always wanted to do my clothes on the line, but I'm afraid it will rain or a bird will poop on it or something. Or maybe a bird egg will find its way to it, or maybe a mouthguard.
Haha! Wow! I've always wanted to do that too. My Mom used to have a clothesline... You'll have to know how it goes later on
That's so awesome! When we lived in Park City we had a permanent clothesline in our backyard, the poles were cemented in the ground and everything....out of the 8 years we lived there I don't think we even used it! Haha but it was nice to know we had the option...
Post a Comment